Thursday, October 10, 2013

2013 'Dans le Rose' Breast Cancer Awareness Gown


October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and for the third year in a row Montagne Noire is introducing a Special Edition gown, "Dans le Rose", a satin Victorian day gown with matching hat in pink, for just 100L!


In RL I'm a survivor of breast cancer. In 2010 I underwent a double mastectomy and chemotherapy, and completed radiation therapy in January 2011. I'm currently on medication therapy for ten years to prevent the cancer from returning.

I created this gown, and the previous special edition gowns for Breast Cancer Awareness Month (in October of each year), with the hope of spreading awareness about breast cancer to younger women in SL -- I was 42 when I was diagnosed, but have met many women who were diagnosed in their 20s and 30s.

So here is my PSA: if you are over 40, please get that annual mammogram. If you are under 40, you are never too young to start monthly self exams.

I thought breast cancer was something that could never happen to me, but I've come to realize that a diagnosis does not mean a death sentence either.


This dress set is meant to celebrate the dreams, beauty and creativity of all women in SL, and I hope you enjoy it. Proceeds from this purchase benefit my continuing medical treatment.

There are many special events this month throughout Second Life to raise funds and awareness for breast cancer research and treatment. One of my favorites is Boobiethon, going on now through the weekend in various locations. This is the final year for the event, so please do check it out -- organizers Eva Bellambi and Serra Anansi have put so much time and effort into this wonderful event for the last six years, and they deserve a round of applause.

Thank you for your support!

No comments: